The Ministry’s mandates contained in the 36 legislation provide its key responsibilities in support of the Government’s national development agenda as highlighted in the SDS 2016-2017/2019-2020. Recent reviews have taken place (over the last 2-3 years) to update and reform the various Ministry Legislation to comply with the global business demands including the accession of Samoa to the WTO.
- These reviews will be ongoing for the corporate planning (2016-2020) period to bring up to date the various legislation governing Samoa’s business environment. The Ministry is mandated to administer regulatory frameworks that:
Promote Industry development, foreign investment and guarantees the rights of citizens to participate in the economy of Samoa,
- Set standards to regulate fair competitive practices to promote a fair level playing field in all trade,
- Administers the Apprenticeship Scheme, Employment Services, conducting of labour market surveys, collection and dissemination of Labour Market information,
- Promote and enforce labour and employment relations, foreign worker employment and occupational safety and health,
- Manage the registries of companies and other legal entities and enforces statutory obligations. Management of IP registers and protection of rights of IP holders.